Dept. of Anthropology, The University of Oklahoma, firstname.lastname@example.org
M.S. Biological Sciences, University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE
B.S. Microbiology, Kansas State University, Manhattan, KS
2018 – 2021: Graduate Research Assistant, Anthropology, University of Oklahoma
2014 – 2018: Research Associate, Biology, University of Oklahoma
2012 – 2014: Instructor, Biological Sciences, Cameron University, Lawton, OK
2011 – 2012: Adjunct Professor, Rose State College, Midwest City, OK
2007 – 2009: Research Specialist, Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise, Virginia Polytechnic and State University
2006 – 2007: Research Specialist, Medicine, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
Lab Assistant, 2015 – 2017, BIOL 2970, Department of Biology, University of Oklahoma, Norman, OK
Instructor, 2012 – 2014, Cameron University, Lawton, OK
- BIOL 2124 – Introduction to Microbiology (majors)
- BIOL 1364 – Principles of Biology (majors)
- BIOL 1004L – General Biology Laboratory (non-majors)
Adjunct Professor, 2011 – 2012, Rose State College, Midwest City, OK
- LFSC 2424 – Human Physiology (majors) – 1 semester: Summer 2012
- LFSC 1114 – Introduction to Biology (non-majors) – 2 semesters
- HSBC 1224 – Introduction to Clinical Microbiology (majors) – 1 semester
Publications and Presentations
- Gaffin DD, Brayfield BP. 2017. Exploring the chemo-textural familiarity hypothesis for scorpion navigation. Journal of Arachnology 45(3):265-270. full text article
- Gaffin DD, Brayfield BP. 2016. Autonomous Visual navigation of an indoor environment using a parsimonious, insect inspired familiarity algorithm. PLOS ONE 11(4): e0153706. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0153706. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0153706
- Creekmore AL, Heffron CL, Brayfield BP, Roberts PC, Schmelz EM. 2013. Regulation of cytoskeleton organization by sphingosine in a mouse cell model of progressive ovarian cancer”. Biomolecules, 3(3). http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/biom3030386
- Mazzei J, Zhou H, Brayfield BP et al. 2011. Suppression of DSS-induced intestinal inflammation and inflammation-driven colon cancer by dietary sphingomyelin: importance of PPAR-g expression. The Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry, 22(12), 1160-1171. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jnutbio.2010.09.017
- Minhas V, Brayfield BP et al. 2010. Primary gamma-herpesviral infection in Zambian children. BMC Infectious Diseases. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2334-10-115
- Wojcicki J, Mwanahamuntu M, Minhas V, Djokic B, Kankasa C, Klaskala W, Brayfield BP et al. 2008. Mortality among HIV-1 and human herpesvirus type 8-affected mother-infant pairs in Zambia. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention 17(9): 2238-43. http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/17/9/2238.full-text.pdf
- Klaskala W, Brayfield BP et al. 2005. Epidemiological characteristics of Human Herpesvirus-8 in a large population of antenatal women in Zambia. Journal of Medical Virology 75(1):93-100. http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/17/9/2238.full-text.pdf
- Brayfield BP, Kankasa C. et al. 2004. Distribution of Kaposi’s sarcoma-associated herpesvirus/human herpesvirus type 8 in Zambian maternal saliva and breast milk: implications for transmission. The Journal of Infectious Diseases. 189: 2260-70. https://doi.org/10.1086/421119
- Perez-Filgueira DM, Brayfield BP et al. 2004. Preserved Antigenicity of HIV-1 p24 Produced and Purified in High Yields From Plants Innoculated Using a Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV) Derived Vector. Journal of Virological Methods; 121(2):201-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jviromet.2004.06.022
- Brayfield, BP, West JT et al. 2004. Correspondence: Does the Risk of Abortion Increase in Women with High Human Herpesvirus-8 Antibody Titers. J. Inf. Dis. 188: 188:174-5.
- Brayfield, BP, S. Phiri et al. 2003. Postnatal human herpesvirus-8 and human immunodeficiency virus-1 infection in mothers and infants from Zambia. The Journal of Infectious Diseases. 187:559-68. https://doi.org/10.1086/367985
- Mantina H, Kankasa C, Klaskala W, Brayfield B et al. 2001. Vertical Transmission of Kaposi’s Sarcoma-Associated Herpesvirus. International Journal of Cancer 94(5):749-52. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/enhanced/exportCitation/doi/10.1002/ijc.1529
- Brayfield BP, Katherine Hirschfeld, Ani Melkonyan, Kirsten de Beurs. Structural determinants of health and malaria in the post-Soviet Caucasus region. Society for Applied Anthropology. Portland, OR, USA. 2018.
- Brayfield BP, Gaffin DD. Burrow adoption and navigation in the desert grassland scorpion, P. utahensis. Oral Presentation. 20th International Congress of Arachnology/American Arachnological Society joint meeting. Golden, CO, USA. 2016.
- Gaffin DD, Brayfield BP. Indoor autonomous navigation using an insect inspired familiarity algorithm. Poster presentation. Gordon Research Conference. Neuroethology: Behavior, Evolution and Neurobiology. Barga, Italy. 2015.
- Brayfield BP, Gaffin DD, Suhren A, et al. Simulated autonomous navigation using a scene-familiarity based algorithm. Oral Presentation, International Symposium on Atmospheric Research using Remotely-piloted Aircraft. Norman, OK, USA. 2015.
- Brayfield BP, de Beurs K. Factors influencing the incidence of Tickborne Rickettsial Diseases in Oklahoma since 2000. Oral Presentation, Southwestern Association of American Geographers. Austin, TX. 2011.
- Brayfield BP, Mitchell CD et al. Transmission Routes and Risks of Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) infection in infants in Zambia. Poster Presentation, 13th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections. Denver, CO. 2006.
- Brayfield BP, Phiri S et al. Risk factors of human herpesvirus-8 (HHV-8)/Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus (KSHV) infection in Zambian children. Poster presentation, 7th International Workshop on KSHV/HHV8 and Related Agents. Santa Cruz, CA. 2004.
- Brayfield BP, Kankasa C. et al. The distribution of viral DNA in human herpesvirus-8 seropositive mothers suggests saliva but not breast milk as a potential mediator of horizontal transmission in Zambia. Oral presentation, 6th International Workshop on KSHV/HHV8 and Related Agents. Glen Cove, NY. 2003.
- Brayfield, BP, Phiri, S et al. Postnatal Human Herpesvirus-8 and Human Immunodeficiency Virus-1 Infection in Zambia. Poster presentation, 22nd Annual Meeting of the American Society for Virology. Davis, CA. 2003.
- Brayfield BP, Mantina H et al. HHV-8 Infection and Its Associated Risk Factors In Mother/Infant Pairs In Zambia. Oral presentation, 4th International Workshop on KSHV and Related Agents. Santa Cruz, CA. 2001.
Invited Presentations and outreach
- Oklahoma BioBlitz. Guided night hikes and collection. 2016, 2017.
- Community After School Program. Norman Public Schools. Norman, OK. 2016.
- Science Enrichment Week. Terra Verde Discovery School. Norman, OK, USA. 2016.
- Nebraska Wesleyan University “HHV-8 and HIV-1 infection in Sub-Saharan Africa”. 2000.
Molecular Biology and Animal Behavioral
- >15 years of laboratory experience
- Matlab animal tracking
- Field work and collection of inverts
- qPCR and primer/probe design
- Mammalian cell culture
- ELISA, IFA, Western blot, IP
- DNA/RNA isolation, cDNA synthesis
- DNA sequencing and PCR based cloning
- Mammalian/bacterial transfection
- Bacterial/virus growth and titer
- Protein array analysis
- 2005 University of Nebraska Fellowship – Graduate Studies, University of Nebraska $4,000
- 2004 Maud Hammond Fling Fellow – Graduate Studies, University of Nebraska $14,000
- 2003 Graduate Research Assistant of the Year – School of Biological Sciences
- 2002 President – Biology Graduate Students Association
- 1997 Undergraduate Cancer Research Award – KSU Center for Basic Cancer Research